Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 60

February 28, 2010

Day 60:

It rained ALL night last night. I love sleeping with the sound of rain in the background, couple that with the high tide waves against the trailer and it made for a water filled night. When we woke up we found out that an earthquake in Chile called for a tsunami warning to all of the Pacific islands. So people were freaking out around here. Only rebeles though, the natives didn’t flinch. Eric and I went to breakfast at Dar, and notified our families that we were okay but that the tsunami waves weren’t due to come in for a couple more hours. It also just so happened that the waves would be coming in only about 45 minutes after our low tide so even if they had been big waves, it wouldn’t have reached the mainland.
We wanted to watch the waves just to see what would happen so Eric and I went to the high school to find a good spot where we could also get internet. It was above the breezeway at the high school that we found S.K., one of the high school World Teach teachers, and Toni, the only World Teach teacher at the Middle School, seated doing the same thing that we planned to do. We sat out there for close to two hours just talking and sharing our stories. Ally and Ben eventually joined and so did a girl named Emily who is a World Teach teacher from the UK who is teaching in Ajeltake.
After that I came back to the trailer and watched Madagascar with Eric while we baked two pizzas. The pizzas turned out really good and almost everyone ate some. After that, tired from an early morning start and a food coma, we passed out until time to start dinner.
It was my last time to cook so I wanted to go out with a bang. I had salmon croquets, baked chicken breast, macaroni and cheese and spinach on the menu. Everything was looking good during preparation until the water just WOULD NOT boil. The stove must have been broken or something because I tried this water on three different eyes and it took over an hour for the water to boil. I had been trying to time up the cheese sauce for the mac and cheese to be ready when the noodles were done. Well the noodles took about 50 minutes longer than I expected so that completely ruined my cheese sauce that I wasn’t even 100% sure on how to make in the first place. I was pretty upset about that. Everything else turned out well. That was until I went to put some ketchup on my salmon.
So I made a meatloaf Thursday night as requested by the group and by the group I mean mostly Ben. He just loved the meatloaf. So I made two meatloaves Thursday that got put into Tupperware for leftovers. So I go to get some ketchup for my salmon tonight, and I can’t find it. It’s not on the table and no one has seen it. I remembered seeing Ben eating the end of the leftovers of the meat loaf last night and so he was the consensus last person to see the ketchup. It was then that he told us that he used the end of it for the meatloaf last night. I then go on to explain how he must be confused because I opened a brand new bottle of ketchup Thursday when the first bottle ran out while I was mixing the meat loaf. It was then that he reassured ME that it must have been the same bottle…..Dude ate a whole bottle of ketchup in about 36 hours. Someone, anyone please explain how this was possible.
Now I was already pissed about my failed attempt at cheese sauce, and now I don’t have any ketchup to put on my salmon. So I’m left to resort to barbecue sauce or hot sauce. You should already know I chose the hot sauce. There really is no moral to that story, but I told Ben about how ridiculous it was that he literally went through ¾ bottle of ketchup in a day and a half and I assured him that I would be blogging about it.
After dinner we all split up to do some work. I worked on a new song that I thought of and then we went to watch The Great Escape in the girls’ trailer. With an hour left we called it quits and I came back to the trailer. I worked on the song a little more and finally fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment