Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 73

March 13, 2010

 

 

Day 73:

 

 

            Eric left this morning. So did S.K. She’s headed to Kwajelein and, like I said yesterday, Eric’s headed to several countries in Asia. Not much happened this morning. The power went out at 9 and was scheduled to be out until 5. I started walking towards town with Ally, Edie and Anna. I had to stop at Tide Table to reserve the pizzas for the cast party tomorrow and they walked on. I then stopped at EZ Price to get some movies. I believe I’ve mentioned before but DVDs here are like $2.50. They’re all pirated but there are no copyright laws here so it’s okay. So I got four new movies for $9.80.

             Ben and I were supposed to have a lunch date with Principal Lenja and some staff members but with the power outage we were sure that was cancelled. So Ben went to grade papers at Tide Table and I went to the resort. It was at the resort when Wintson, one of the workers, notified me that I had a phone call. Principal Lenja had called the resort looking for me because the dinner, in fact, was still on. Turns out this restaurant has its own generator and runs on propane tanks. So he came to pick me up and then we picked up Ben from Tide Table. When the principal and I had talked about this yesterday he said it would be a small gathering and that he’d try to get all the department heads to come but to ‘expect the unexpected’. So I walk into this Japanese-Taiwanese-Marshallese restaurant with a to-go box from the resort and we’re now an hour late. There were three tables set up in a banquet room with food on a rotating serving plate. There were about twenty teachers there waiting for us. So Principal Lenja spoke and we ate. The food was GREAT. There was a seafood soup, squid, sweet and sour fish, brocolli and beef, deep fried chicken, rice, etc. Just a lot of really good food. I’m mad we didn’t know about this restaurant sooner because I’m sure our group would have been down for going there on one of our Friday eat out nights. Eventually we had the same ceremony there as we did in our classrooms. The teachers lined up and sang two songs to us and then they all came by and shook our hands, some of them gave us handicrafts. We ended up with five items a piece, three necklaces, a wall decoration and a model of an outrigger. The counselor then went on to tell us that they had placed a curse on the outrigger that we would feel sick and ‘under the weather’ on the plane from Majuro and the outrigger would lead us back ‘home’ to Majuro Middle School. It was a very nice ceremony.

            After that I had Principal Lenja open my room so that I could get some papers that I had forgotten. After that I came back to the trailer read a little bit and fell asleep. I woke up when the power came on a little before five.

            Today is Edie’s birthday so we were going to bake her something but since the power went out and most have to report for the play at 5:30 we couldn’t. So what we did is we made a pan of Jello shots and after the play we put candles in it and that was her ‘cake’.

            The play tonight went great. Cassailis really is a good Hamlet. A good actor in general. Hopefully he’ll continue with theatre. After the routine curtain call, Professor Garrod called all of his non-acting helpers on the stage so the Dartmouth crew came out and was recognized as well.

            Once the play was over, and actually over, we came back to the trailer for some Jello shots and relaxation. Right as we were all getting a good buzz, Professor Garrod walks in and starts talking. That’s not too abnormal I guess but we decided with nonverbal cues to put the Jello away while he was there. When he went to tend to Peter who got his wallet stolen tonight, we decided that we could have it out. So we’re eating the Jello and Professor comes in and takes a seat next to me. CLEARLY, crashing our party. All the while he’s asking questions about how we celebrated Edie’s birthday. He even asked if we had ‘jelly’ on the table. We informed him that in fact we did but no one mentioned the vodka contents within. I’m pretty sure he wanted us to offer him some but that never happened. Eventually, after about thirty minutes of awkward remarks and attempted conversations, Derek, like a CHAMP, took one for the team. He asked Professor if he wanted to get some wine at the resort and assured him that it would still be open. We owe Derek. After that we killed the Jello and attempted to go to The Pub before we realized that there were no taxis running at 1:20 a.m. So we came back to the trailer listened to some music, played some games and then passed out.

            Tomorrow’s our last full day on the island. I feel like a lot of it will be spent packing, which I’m pretty much done doing, and waiting for time to pass. The cast party is at 3 and that’ll be fun but other than that, I literally have nothing to do. I think Ally and I are the only ones that aren’t teaching on Monday, or at least going in to class. So I think we’re going to save cleaning up for then. So I’ll figure our something to do tomorrow. Until next time, from Majuro, bar lo yok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment