Sunday, March 14, 2010

day 75

March 15, 2010

 

 

Day 75:

 

            I woke up in the trailer today knowing that it would be the last time I did so. The last time I’m awakened by the sun peeking through the blinds above my head and the water rushing against the wall at high tide. I knew that it would be the last time I walked to Dar for a four dollar breakfast. The last time I would look out of a window looking East and a window looking West and see two different bodies of water. It’s going to be weird for me not to see water when I get back. And what’s even more ironic about that is that I live in Ohio. I never see water (The Ohio River doesn’t count. It’s more of a large flowing mud, puddle). So for me to say that it’s going to be weird not seeing it says a lot. Wearing sandals everywhere is going to be different. I’ve never been the sandal wearing type but its actually the only logical footwear here. I brought a pair of Jordan’s but I only wear those when I play ball and occasionally on Friday’s with my Dartmouth polo. Along with that, wearing socks will be different. I hardly ever wear socks here anymore. I used to when I was walking somewhere far. And I wear them when playing ball or running. But for the most part, I’m all about the sandals here. Today will be the last time that it’s acceptable for my feet to be dirty. I guess all of these things play into the same concept but I’ll be glad to have clean feet again. I’ve always been one to ensure the cleanliness of my feet but here that has been lost. When I get in the shower the first thing I wash is my feet and it’s pretty grim. And for the few minutes that I’m in the shower I legitimately feel clean from head to toe. But then I step out of the shower and the floors are all dirty and I leave in my sandals and my feet are a mess again.

            The power went out at about 9 a.m. Apparently it was planned to go out at 1 p.m. I went to check on some T-shirts and they told me that the power isn’t supposed to be back on until 5:00 p.m. tomorrow. I’m not too upset that we’re skipping town before the powerless night. I spent the rest of the day lounging around the trailer wasting time really. During the last show, on Saturday, Maria, one of our Ophelias, was watching the show from above where my drums are. We were talking and she made some comment about how hot it was. I then took out Dreams from My Father for her to fan herself with. We then got into a conversation about the book. I then told her I’d send her my copy when I finished. So today, with nothing to do and no power, I vowed to finish the book and hopefully see her at the airport. It sounds like, everyone is going to meet us at the airport to see us off. I think I’m going to give Garrick my ‘Battlegrounds’ bracelet too. I read the last 130 or so pages of the book by 2:00 p.m. Two of my students, Jemithy and Bartee, came by the trailer twice to ask me what I was doing and when I was leaving. They’re rather shy when by themselves despite their willingness to talk in class. When our brief conversation grew silent I told them I had to go and that I’d see them later. I hate telling lies. And I hate goodbyes.

            After finishing the book I went to the resort, from which I write this entry. I’ve ordered a burger and fries. What better way to begin my journey back to America? I would have fixed myself some food if we had power, but I can’t wait for a meal on the plane, it could be quite a few hours. So my sentiments at this point are pretty mixed. I’m excited to get home and see Elani, and Caleb and maybe Shannon and my family. But I’m going to miss these kids, this country so much. That’s probably the only way to sum up how I feel. So with that I’ll stop. For the last time, from Majuro, bar lo yok.

No comments:

Post a Comment