Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 25

January 24

 

Day 25:

 

            Today was a pretty bland day. I started by going with Eric to the resort to workout, get breakfast and use the web. The island is still without eggs by the way. Which proved to be a huge problem for me later in the day. Professor Garrod volunteered us to go to a lady  named Kathy’s house to swim in the lagoon. Kathy is one of the principals at the Co-Op School here on Majuro. We went out there and swam, it was nice. She had some snorkeling equipment which we used to the fullest. Eric, Ben, Anna, Robin, Peter and I all went to Kathy’s house. We were there about two hours which was plenty long enough. Professor Garrod was taking photos of us the whole time in candid positions as well as posed ones. We were all reading along the wall that separates their backyard from the lagoon and alongside the wall there is a hammock. Eric got into the hammock to take a picture for Professor Garrod and all of a sudden the rope that was holding the hammock to the tree just frayed and snapped. Eric fell from the hammock and hit his back on the wall on his way down. It was pretty funny to see. Nobody found it funnier than Eric did. He ended up having a pretty bad looking scrape on his back but he said he felt fine.

            After leaving Kathy’s house Eric and I came back and took a nap. When I woke up from the nap it was time to cook. I had asked Anna to pick up some canned salmon from the market if they saw some. When I woke up, they had four cans waiting for me. None of them had had salmon croquets before and I figured I’d make that for them. Being that I had –unintentionally, I must add – made all vegetarian meals this go round, I decided to make some regular burgers as well. This is where the eggs came into play. Usually for the salmon croquets I’ll de-bone the fish, take off the skin, and mix it in with crackers, mayonnaise, onions and egg to hold it together. But since there’s no egg on the island I couldn’t quite do that. So instead I added a tad more mayo being that mayo is egg based. Well that didn’t work out as planned. The salmon croquets ended up falling apart for the most part but it was fine because it allowed people to get smaller portions. They loved them. No one in the group had had them before and I was glad it turned out so well. I had to remind them that looks can be deceiving when they came in to get the food. They all said that it smelled great, but that’s like the standard response around here these days – albeit the culinary skills of this group are very good. I felt like their compliments were authenticated once they actually got a taste of it. After we ate we lesson planned for the week and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment