Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 52

February 20, 2010

 

 

Day 52

 

            Today we finally executed our plan to rent a golf cart and ride out to Laura. Eric and I went to breakfast at Dar and then picked up the golf cart. It seated six comfortably and we ended up having six people go: myself, Eric, Edie, Ally, Robyn and Anna. Derek had work to do. Peter was still sick. Ben was afraid we were going to crash and Garrod never goes with us. The ride was nice. It took us about an hour and a half to get there. We pushed about 25 mph the whole way there. How many people do you know that have taken a golf cart 35 miles? None! Well one now. I

            It was great thought. We went to Heather, Sarah and Eric’s house, the Dartmouth graduate students out on Laura, and played some pong. It was nice to get back on a table even though it wasn’t quite the same as playing in Hanover. After playing three games of that, I sat the first, won the second and lost the third to Eric and Sarah. Heather was my partner; we picked them from a hat.

            After that we headed out to Laura Beach. Laura is the very end of the Majuro Island for those who don’t know. So whereas most of the country has lagoon side and ocean side, Laura blends the two and it’s really pretty. It’s one of the few real beaches on the island. So we went to the beach and had a good time hanging out there for about two hours. Somehow, Heather lost the orange float that she had brought. It wasn’t even hers but I guess she just assumed that it would float back, even thought it was being carried farther and farther out. It’s probably somewhere near Fiji now. LOL.

            We drove back. Whereas Eric and I drove there, Eric brought us all the way back by himself. I was pretty tired so I let him go although I did think Anna was driving back. Either way, we got back. I took a shower and Eric, Ally and I eventually dropped Ben off for the Gospel choir concert. We got the tank on E and were supposed to return it the way we found it so we decided to drive around, so we decided to drive on every road in Majuro. We did it and eventually got to the tip of Rita which is the other end of the island. So today we golf carted from one end of Majuro Island to the other and drove all of the one actual road that there is in the island.

            After cruising around for a little through Uliga and Delap, Eric, Ally and I decided to get dinner at Tide Table and then watch the high school talent show. I ordered the beer battered fish sandwich. It was pretty good, I was pleased with it. By the time we finished, the concert was nowhere near starting. It was supposed to start at 7 and it was not 8:30 and they hadn’t started yet. Typical Marshallese time. So after that we drove some more around town and picked up Amy, a World Teach teacher waiting on a taxi. She then led us up to the tip of Rita again where we picked up another World Teach teacher that is located on Arno. Before they made a golf cart tour of Rita again, I asked to be let out at the high school so that I could go rest, I had a slight migraine coming on.

            I had tried to send the family an email at Tide Table but the network was down. When I was walking home I noticed that the library light was on. When I entered I saw Professor Garrod there sending emails. I spoke and proceeded to send the two messages that I needed to send: one to Elani and one to the family. I won’t get into the details of what was said next, but Professor Garrod essentially told me that he made a mistake accepting me on this trip and that I’m not competent to be in this program. There were other things said, but I’ll just leave it by saying, I professionally let him know EXACTLY how I felt. I hadn’t been that mad in a VERY long time. I’m not sure if I’ve ever been that mad before. Again, I won’t get into the logistics of that but he knows how I feel, I know how he feels. And we’re not exactly on speaking terms right now. After all that went down, I came back to the trailer and did pushups until Eric and Ally got back. I told them about what happened, we discussed it and then watched two or three episodes of Entourage. Ally then left, Eric and I watched the “Ear sex” episode of Family Guy and then passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment